The Lincoln College Lynx

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

5 Resources for Finding a Job After College

Lincoln, IL-Finding a job after college is important to nearly every college graduate . We tend to feel like no matter who we know or what we’ve learned, our resumes are being overlooked and somehow our minimal experience isn’t good enough. In this article, you will find resources to help you prepare for a career hunt before you’ve even graduated. Get out your pen and paper and be sure to take note of these useful tips.

1. Research the position before applying for a job

Often times when job searching, people tend to see a position or company they would be interested in working for, without knowing whether or not they are truly qualified for the position. To avoid this, make sure to read the entire job description and requirements before filling out an application. According to workopolis.com , “Employers have told us that sometimes as many as 75 percent of applicants for a given role aren’t actually qualified to do it.” In other words, solely filling out an application does not automatically qualify you for a position. Or, if you do not hear back from a company, it does not necessarily mean they were not impressed with you, but you are simply not who they are looking for in terms of requirements. Once you have found a job that you are suited for, consider the fact  job applications are more about quality than quantity. You do not want to miss any parts of the application, or leave out any information that may increase your chances of being hired.

1. Create a distinguishable resume

Resumes are a very important feature in an applicant’s chances of being hired. This is your one chance to show someone how qualified you are, your accomplishments and your experience. Your resume must put a face to a name, because sometimes the person who is reading your resume does not know who you are and that is exactly what you want your resume to tell them. Your resume must stand out to an employer, shouting, “I am different!” According to Jessica Miller-Merrel’s article on workology.com, employers on average spent about six seconds viewing a resume, which means it is critical that your resume stands out.

1. Networking

Networking is another key detail to job hunting. Networking between friends, family, and even strangers could potentially land you your dream job. Even if you are at your part-time restaurant job, you may meet a customer who owns a company in a line of work that you’re looking for and that’s where the networking begins. There are many different ways to network with people these days including social media, former teachers, meeting new people or even  fellow alumni. LinkedIn.com states , “80 percent of professionals consider professional networking to be important to career success.”  LinkedIn  also reports, “70 percent  of people in 2016 were hired at a company where they had a connection.” Judging by these statistics, networking truly increases the chances of being hired at any given company. It is important to mention your career path, your strengths and the help you could bring someone by working for their company. In order to really sell yourself, you must let a company know what help you can be to them, rather than what help they will be to you.

1. Internships

Most degrees require students to obtain an internship in their field. This is the perfect place for a student to get their “foot in the door” so to speak. Internships get you acquainted with this place of work and the people that work there. Once you have completed an internship, that company knows you and your work ethic which can assist in job searching. This may be someone’s first time working in a professional environment which can also prepare them for their next move; a career. Part of this ties in with the resumes which were mentioned earlier, internships can be included on your resume which is a strong point, because you already have experience in the field without ever having held an actual position. Amber Shiflett, from snagajob.com, tells us, “Employers often use internships as a recruitment tool to test out future employees and in many cases, companies hire interns after graduations.”

1. Find a mentor

Career mentors are people you go to when you have questions about how to find a job, or where to start looking. Your mentor can be anyone you’d like it to be, but Forbes.com suggests that someone should find a mentor  in the career field they are going into. They also suggested using LinkedIn to search for your mentor, because you can search a specific position within a certain company and your results will show people in the position. The idea behind this is the person who is mentoring you not only knows how to help you in your career path, but also has a job where you want to work. I bet you can’t think of anyone better to ask than your future potential co-worker.

See? Finding a job after you graduate is going to be a breeze. Use these resources to their fullest extent and you might just have your very first degree-relative job. There are many people out there willing to help beginners like us find the jobs that we desire, but right now the ball is in your court and you must utilize your resources so that you can be successful too.

For help with your job search visit the Career Center at McKinstry Library or get more information at their website, https://careerservices.lincolncollege.edu/