The Lincoln College Lynx

Filed under News, Showcase

Lincoln College Students Place at IBA

Students from Lincoln College’s Radio, TV, and New Media program participated in the Illinois Broadcasters Association’s Student Conference on October 6th on the campus of Illinois State University.

Dylan Diemert, Meranda Vieregge and Nik Jackson placed third in the category of Best Radio/TV Promotional or Public Service Campaign with their “Radio, TV and New Media Degree Promo.”

Watch the promo here:

Andrew Walker, Tess Bruni, and Chris Garcia placed third in the category of Best TV Longform Journalism Programming for their piece “A Closer Look at Creekside.” This short gives an inside look at Lincoln College’s G. Dennis Campbell Creekside Outdoor Center for Environmental Education.

Watch the video here:

Students Dylan Diemert, Christian Lloyd, JD Keister and Henry Blackman placed second in the category of Best Radio/TV Promotional or Public Service Campaign for “89x Special Olympics Polar Plunge Sponsorship.”

At this one-day conference, students from colleges all over have the opportunity to visit with hiring professionals, learn about potential internships, and attend seminars about the media industry.

LC Students Makenzie Rendleman, Sal Novarro, Henry Blackman, and Vershaun Jones at IBA

Student Andrew Walker says, “IBA is a great experience for young Radio, TV, and New Media students because it allows students to begin networking with professionals from the industry, along with competing against other schools in production, news casts, PSA’s, etc.”

John Malone, Division Chair for Communications and Fine Arts at LC, lead a panel discussion on employer expectations. Professor Deb Antoine, lead faculty for Radio, Television and New Media, presided over a panel discussion on women in media.

Deb Antoine and Helen Dobbyn

“We had four successful women in media on our panel at IBA this year; Helen Dobbyn, an award-winning Multimedia Producer for the Illinois Farm Bureau, Colleen Reynolds, award-winning correspondent for WGLT Bloomington-Normal, Kelly Lambert, Sports Broadcasting faculty at ISU and long time freelance sports production worker, and Jarmese Sherrod, Ph.D. of Developmental English & Media at Richland Community College. The panel discussion was lively and focused on paths to a successful career and challenges faced by women in the workplace. I think it is so important for students to talk with successful communication professionals in our part of the world and learn what they did to become successful.”