The Lincoln College Lynx

Filed under Sports

Lady Lynx Looking To Hit The Floor Running

Lincoln IL-  The lady Lynx team is coming off a 14- win season last year in Matt Varvo first year of coaching at Lincoln College. The Lynx finished tied for 4th place in the MWAC. The previous three seasons the Lynx only won 12 games combined.  The Lynx will only get better as they are bringing back freshmen player of the year Erynn Young  who averaged 18.3 points per game which was 22nd in the nation. Young was named first Team All-Conference and also made the region 24 all region team. Coach Varvo thinks can even have a better year this year as she will be the leader on the team and help this team a lot of wins on the season.

Head Coach Matt Vavro will enter in his second year as the head coach for Lincoln College. Before coming to Lincoln College Vavro spent his last two seasons as the head coach for Danville Area Community College which is in the same conference as the Lynx.  During his first season at Danville he led his team to a 24-8 record, breaking the schools single season wins record and also reaching a national ranking of 13th.  The next season he led the team to another 20+ win season. Which was  very impressive since he lost three of his five starters for the second half of the conference season.  He has proven he can win in this region and that is why he was a good fit for this struggling girls program.

The Lynx will bring in 6 new faces to campus this fall and it is a very talented group. The incoming girls are Grace Schroeder, Allysah Boothe , Kaleia Monterio , Elizabeth Bankole and Victoria Malone. They bring in four girls who made the All-state teams in high school last year. The lady Lynx will have shooters all over the floor this year and they look to score in bunches this season. Last year the team only had two options on offseason  which was freshmen player of the year Erynn Young and Jantia Clark. Both players averaged over 15 points per game for the Lynx. With those two players and the incoming freshmen this team could have a very special year.

The Lynx will start the season tomorrow night as they will host a very good Southeastern Iowa team. Coach thinks this  will be good test for his girls to start the season. The Lynx play in one of the hardest Conferences in the country and playing good teams early on will help them later on during Conference games.  This team will try to do the unthinkable and knockoff Parkland as they won the Region 7 years in a row.