The Student News Site of Lincoln College

The Lincoln College Lynx

You’ll float too! – IT (2017) Movie Review!

Based on the 1986 novel by Stephen King, this movie is about an outcast group of middle schoolers dealing with life problems such as bullies, growing up and an evil sewer clown who manipulates their biggest fears.

From Director Andy Muschietti (Mama, 2008) This movie is set in 1989 after lead protagonist Bill Denbrough’s little brother Georgie is missing along with numerous other children from the small town of Derry, Maine. To make matters worse Bill and his friends Richie, Stan and Eddie are prime targets for Henry Bowers and his gang of bullies. Due to the constant harassment by these bullies, the three of them cross paths with Ben Hanscom who is overweight and new in town, as well as Beverly Marsh who comes from a poor household and Mike the only African-American kid in Derry, Maine.  It doesn’t take them long to realize that kids are going missing more than the national average in their small town. They soon find out that what’s been taking all these kids is far worse than they could even imagine- a dark entity that takes the form of their biggest fears. It’s most notable form is Pennywise the Dancing Clown (played by Swedish actor Bill Skarsgård) who lures kids into the sewers and feeds on them. When they confront Pennywise they learn that in order to defeat IT they will have to conquer their biggest fears.

I give this movie four and a half stars out of five!  This was hands down the best movie seen in theaters all year.  It was terrifying and hilarious and the kid actors all did a terrific job. However, I felt like this movie was a bit rushed with the plot and during the scenes with Pennywise they relied a little too heavily on the CGI effects instead of practical effects. There was almost no scenes where Bill Skarsgård’s Pennywise wasnt completely edited with CGI and I certainly hope that in chapter 2 they use a little less CGI during the clown scenes. The movie was heavy on building tension and having some really dark creepy moments, but also has an R-rated Goonies vibe that keeps you entertained and laughing while watching. Over all, I strongly recommend this film.