The Student News Site of Lincoln College

The Lincoln College Lynx

Filed under Sports

Cubs Steam Rolling Into October

Chicago – This past weekend against the St. Louis Cardinals will go down as their signature moment of the 2017 season.  After a three-game sweep of the New York Mets, the Cubs took care of their arch rivals in Chicago. The Cubs took all three games which all felt like playoff baseball around Wrigley Field.

The Cubs have a three and half game lead over the Milwaukee Brewers and a six game lead over the Cardinals. The Cubs will head north this weekend to open a four game series against Milwaukee. If all goes  as planned the Cubs should be celebrating another playoff berth for the third straight year. The Championship hangover was real as the Cubs started Off horrible this season.  People started to talk saying they weren’t going to make  the playoffs this year but the second half of the season has been a lot different than the first. At the all-star break the Cubs were only two games over 500, now in just over three months the Cubs are 18 games over 500.

The Cubs seem to have everything clicking at the right time which could be huge going down the stretch as the final two weeks of the season is nearing. Winning seven games in the row, the Cubs look to take the momentum into postseason play. If it wasn’t for the Cleveland  Indians historic winning streak the Cubs would be hottest team in the league and the most talk about team.  The national league teams that will be in the post-season are starting to realize the Cubs are back and looking to make another deep run in the playoffs.

Fans know how crazy the playoffs were last year, every pitch was nail biting and eventually the Cubs pulled off the unthinkable. The last team to repeat as champs was over 17 years ago and of course it was the New York Yankees. Fans should fasten their seat belt and get ready for one hell of a ride once again.