The Student News Site of Lincoln College

The Lincoln College Lynx

Filed under Sports

Lynx Look To Hit The Floor Running

Head+Coach+Pat+Lepper+showing+his+guys+how+to+properly+do+the+firefighter+drill.+
Head Coach Pat Lepper showing his guys how to properly do the firefighter drill.

Mario Meccia

Mario Meccia

Lincoln IL- After a deep postseason  run for the Lincoln College Basketball team last year they are back and ready to get things started. Head coach Pat Lepper thinks this could be a special year for his team as he brings back seven key players from last year team. One of the biggest players who has returned  to Lincoln is Trayvon Tyler who led the team in points, steals and assists last year. Over the summer Tyler was mentioned in the JUCO top 100 list, which is a list for the best players in the country for junior college basketball. Coach Lepper was pleased of the offseason work his starting point guard put in. He really dedicated himself into the weight room this offseason you could tell the first day he walked onto campus. Tyler looks to be a big impact for the lynx this year as he will be a candidate for player of the year in the conference and maybe even in the country.

The Lynx went out this offseason and added depth to their starting lineup and even their bench. Two key players the Lynx added this year are Edwin Rivera and Louis Griffith. Rivera is a 6 feet 7 inches forward from Puerto Rico who will help out the Lynx in a lot of different ways. Coach Lepper was very excited when talking about Rivera. He explained Edwin can really play the game and can stretch the floor and hit the outside shot. Look out for Rivera to make a difference on the floor for the Lynx. The coaching staff did stay local this offseason when they did their recruiting in the summer, they landed D1 transfer from Bradley University Louis Griffith. When you first take a look at Griffith you would be shocked he’s a basketball player, but don’t let his look fool you. The kid is one hell of a ball player according to coach Lepper.

When meeting with coach last week we talked about team goals and he stated that he wants to win 20 plus game this year which should be very doable with this very talented Lynx roster. Coach also wants to be a top contender in the conference. The biggest goal coach wants to achieve this year is to make the national tournament, Lincoln College has not been there since 2011 when they won the whole thing.

The Lynx will open up season play November first at home against Hannibal -LaGrange Jv team which will start a 4 game home stand to start up the season. Stay tune for my coverage of Lynx basketball as we will follow a close on them hoping they can make a deep run in post-season play.